CouchPotatoServer on Android

General development talk regarding Couchpotato
Stealth

Postby Stealth » 07 Jun 2013 01:37

I'm wondering if anyone has considered or investigated getting the server to run on Android. In particular, I'd really like to have this running on my ODroid-U2. It's already running XBMC.

Python on Android should be pretty doable. I don't know much about the code at this point though... is there anything that's very platform specific that would make this a bad idea?

clinton.hall

Re: CouchPotatoServer on Android

Postby clinton.hall » 07 Jun 2013 05:50

shouldn't be hard. as long as python runs, you can download the source and then run.

the key is that the default data directory might not be valid. So create a data directory wherever you see as being a logical place to store settings and database etc. then when you go to start couchpotato you will need to pass the options

e.g CouchPotato.py --data_dir /full/path/to/data_dir --daemon --pid_file $PID_FILE

Stealth

Postby Stealth » 10 Jun 2013 23:44

Well, so far this has been quite successful, shown here:

This is the server running on an Android VM. I've yet to actually get it going on my ODroid-U2, but this is all the dirty work done.

What I did:
- Created a Nexus 7 VM
- Installed SL4A
- Installed Python For Android
- Copied the CPS project into the scripts directory and ran
- Ensured that a data directory already existed
- Worked out all the errors

Problems Encountered:
- For some reason launching python scripts with command line arguments is really difficult so I ended up hard-coding all the options I would have otherwise passed in. Pretty much exactly what clinton.hall suggested above.
- 'copy2' doesn't work on Android, so all references (only 2 of them I think) were changed to 'copyfile'
- chmod complains, so I commented that out too... pretty much just a problem in base.py:createFile which would throw lots of errors. It'll be interesting to see what knock-ons this has.
- Overall, file permissions and paths seemed to be the biggest hurdle

Testing:
- So far I've basically done no testing. I'm just pretty happy I got this running, searched for a movie, found it and downloaded it!
- There are BOUND to be some problems remaining!

Next Steps:
- I'll try putting this on my ODroid-U2 tomorrow and run some additional tests

jkaberg
Site Admin

Postby jkaberg » 27 Jun 2013 13:59

Nice work stealth, emile_b @ sickbeard.com is working on porting Sick-Beard to Android

Check it; http://sickbeard.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6187

Teknogrebo

Postby Teknogrebo » 05 Aug 2013 09:34

Hi, I just registered to ask if there was any progress on this effort? I've just bought an MK809 android stick to run XBMC on, and it occured to me that running coach potato on it as well would be awesome. Doing a quick Google for any existing ports I came across this page which seemed to be just what I was after. I can try and recreate what was posted I guess and see if I can get it running myself, but my python programming abilities are non-existant (I'm a c++ programmer though, so could dive in if needs be :)

Cheers.

bigkid72

Postby bigkid72 » 23 Aug 2014 02:26

Hi, I would Really really love to know how this went.. i am currently setting up my new odroid-XU3 to be my new HTPC running android with xbmc. I have found the port of sickbeard and nzbget for android and have set them up on here but I am stumped with couch potato. The only programming experience i have to fall back on is C basic so not really cut out to do python programming just yet but i would really like to get couch running on my odroid. any help at all would be really great :)

Haroldml

Postby Haroldml » 06 Aug 2016 22:27

It seems that last week version had issues with GPS on some android devices...

Please use the version attached here instead of the old one

Arinastonak

Postby Arinastonak » 07 Nov 2016 07:16

I like your icons on the bottom.

Not sure if they're from the OS as I haven't used android in quite some time.

Return to “Development”