Adding (tv) series support to CP (looking for python devs)

General development talk regarding Couchpotato
nrgaway
Recognized Developer

Re: Adding (tv) series support to CP (looking for python dev

Postby nrgaway » 14 Aug 2013 00:08

I have many years experience with python programming and backend logic.

I think moving forward the best way to future proof is to use an "adapter pattern". It looks like it would not take too long to implement on the core since it looks well written.

By using an adapter pattern we can extend the core with separate packages addons that never need to be part of the core allowing third party developers the freedom to plugin. For example, someone could easily create a provider plugin that would never need to be part of cp code. It can exist in its own name space and the distribution package just needs to be included as a dependency on startup.

In the python world, zope and plone do a wonderful job using this approach.

I should have the time to work on the core to make this possible if we are interested in discussing this approach further. I'm also willing to participate in roadmap discussions if the teams wants to go another way so long as the code we generate is futureproof and will allow third party functionally without having to update the main cp repo for each new service / addon.

jkaberg
Site Admin

Postby jkaberg » 14 Aug 2013 07:09

nrgaway wrote:I have many years experience with python programming and backend logic.

I think moving forward the best way to future proof is to use an "adapter pattern". It looks like it would not take too long to implement on the core since it looks well written.

By using an adapter pattern we can extend the core with separate packages addons that never need to be part of the core allowing third party developers the freedom to plugin. For example, someone could easily create a provider plugin that would never need to be part of cp code. It can exist in its own name space and the distribution package just needs to be included as a dependency on startup.

In the python world, zope and plone do a wonderful job using this approach.

I should have the time to work on the core to make this possible if we are interested in discussing this approach further. I'm also willing to participate in roadmap discussions if the teams wants to go another way so long as the code we generate is futureproof and will allow third party functionally without having to update the main cp repo for each new service / addon.

Excellent, we would love to have you :)

You mentioned the core, and I think you're suggestion is right in the crosshair for what we're "ending" up doing (and then later adding plugins), but some of the things you mentioned already works like this (?): check in \couchpotato\core\providers . While we wait for Ruud to post back with details, you can familiarize yourself with the code

I'm also going to appoint you to recognized developer so that you can access the sub-forum, further development discussion can be made there

clinton.hall

Postby clinton.hall » 15 Aug 2013 23:54

Another thought I had here...

There are several forked branches of SickBeard that have anime support, better foreign language support etc... These have NOT been merged into the master branch. Perhaps it is work contacting the users who have created their own fork to see if they wanted to contribute, or otherwise if they could indicate what features we should be adding.

nupnup

Postby nupnup » 17 Aug 2013 10:34

It worries me a little if CouchPotato will be able to handle the amount of data - already with a couple of hundred of movies it seems slow whereas I have several thousand episodes in SickBeard which seems to do fine with that amount of data.

jkaberg
Site Admin

Postby jkaberg » 17 Aug 2013 18:55

nupnup wrote:It worries me a little if CouchPotato will be able to handle the amount of data - already with a couple of hundred of movies it seems slow whereas I have several thousand episodes in SickBeard which seems to do fine with that amount of data.

I have no problems running CP on either my Raspberry PI or on my server. An normal CP process is around 40-50 Megs of ram and 0-1% of CPU. You sure you've configured your setup correctly?

clinton.hall

Postby clinton.hall » 18 Aug 2013 09:09

the other thing to remember here is that the user can still choose to use SickBeard for TV and just use CPS for movies if they want... but if SickBeard isn't maintained (been very little lately) or otherwise doesn't do what people want, we hope that this work will give people more options.

rascalli

Re: Adding (tv)series support to CP (looking for python devs

Postby rascalli » 24 Aug 2013 03:59

jkaberg wrote:
* Some people also like to use it as XBMC , to see what they have watched & what is new ... not sure if you would like this ...
This could be achived by simply marking movies/episodes as watched. And then when CP tells XBMC to update, all you'll see is the newly added media. Or did I missunderstand you?

Those people do not use XBMC , but will use CP as "mediaplayer"

fuzeman
Recognized Developer

Postby fuzeman » 04 Sep 2013 14:54

Good to see this is being implemented. I was thinking about starting this awhile ago, seen as SickBeard isn't
that great these days and the code base is horrible to work on to even consider fixing it's issues, but didn't
have the time at that point to work on it.

Anyway, I would be happy to help out if more help is needed.

jkaberg
Site Admin

Postby jkaberg » 04 Sep 2013 19:10

fuzeman wrote:Good to see this is being implemented. I was thinking about starting this awhile ago, seen as SickBeard isn't
that great these days and the code base is horrible to work on to even consider fixing it's issues, but didn't
have the time at that point to work on it.

Anyway, I would be happy to help out if more help is needed.

@fuzeman, you're most welcome to join in. I'll appoint you to recognized developer, that way you can see the sub forum. Most talk is done on IRC, more details on how to join etc in the sub forum

rascalli

Postby rascalli » 04 Sep 2013 21:15

Is there already something that can be tested ?
As I am not a developer .. but would not mind to test (testing is done on QNAP NAS)

nrgaway
Recognized Developer

Postby nrgaway » 04 Sep 2013 23:41

Not yet :(

nrgaway
Recognized Developer

Postby nrgaway » 05 Sep 2013 00:14

PS

@rascalli, Are you the same 'rascalli' that on SB? Just curious...

rascalli

Postby rascalli » 05 Sep 2013 02:57

@nrgaway .. yes I am ... :cool:

nrgaway
Recognized Developer

Postby nrgaway » 05 Sep 2013 06:33

rascalli wrote:@nrgaway .. yes I am ... :cool:

Cool :)

Bartek

Postby Bartek » 09 Sep 2013 12:44

I like this idea but... Before you gonna reach stage that you can compete with current SickBeard it's gonna cost you a lot of work. I use SB and I like it but like many other I'm sick of dev for not letting people add new stuff.
Why not to fork current SB and start from there? Dev can have their version and community will be having theirs.

TrackieDaks

Postby TrackieDaks » 10 Sep 2013 15:21

Noticed mention of TV series in the git comments and cane here to investigate. I definitely approve of this.
Probably the biggest issue I have with Sickbeard is the lack of support for anything other than thetvdb. Some of the admins there are absolute dicks about the naming of episodes and their ordering. In particular, American Dad.

It's already been mentioned, but the ability to add scene exceptions or use a different info provider would be so well appreciated.

rascalli

Postby rascalli » 11 Sep 2013 17:30

Bartek wrote:I like this idea but... Before you gonna reach stage that you can compete with current SickBeard it's gonna cost you a lot of work. I use SB and I like it but like many other I'm sick of dev for not letting people add new stuff.
Why not to fork current SB and start from there? Dev can have their version and community will be having theirs.

Most people sre looking for 1 program, this way you still have 2

And ofcourse SB dev are doing stuff totally different then CP dev
SO I think for CP dev it is easier to user their own coding

huladaddy

Postby huladaddy » 11 Sep 2013 18:48

I like the idea of CP becoming the app to download all my media, but given that SB is quite mature and works well for many of us, why not focus first on music, and replace Headphones. If I remember correctly, Headphones and CP have similar code bases, and Headphones is still quite immature and doesn't seem to be getting much development.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

TrackieDaks

Postby TrackieDaks » 14 Sep 2013 06:26

huladaddy wrote:I like the idea of CP becoming the app to download all my media, but given that SB is quite mature and works well for many of us, why not focus first on music, and replace Headphones. If I remember correctly, Headphones and CP have similar code bases, and Headphones is still quite immature and doesn't seem to be getting much development.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

Headphones gets more commits than Sickbeard at the moment.

There are so many issues with SB that the dev just refuses to change because it will be too much work.

rascalli

Postby rascalli » 14 Sep 2013 20:57

TrackieDaks wrote:There are so many issues with SB that the dev just refuses to change because it will be too much work.

What issues ? As for me it works perfect , grabs the shows I want , when they are available ...
Or are you talking about new features you would like to see ?

Return to “Development”