Adding (tv) series support to CP (looking for python devs)

General development talk regarding Couchpotato
TrackieDaks

Re: Adding (tv) series support to CP (looking for python dev

Postby TrackieDaks » 15 Sep 2013 03:15

rascalli wrote:What issues ? As for me it works perfect , grabs the shows I want , when they are available ...
Or are you talking about new features you would like to see ?

I was going to point out all the issues listed in this thread, but you were the one who posted most of them... the poor scene exceptions, the lack of (good) torrent support and the generally stagnant development cycle are the biggest issues. I would consider them issues, because they inhibit the purpose of the application.

For anyone else who is thinking of suggesting it, forking sickbeard would be a waste of time. My vote is to see TV support fully integrated into Couchpotato, no separate branches or additional apps.

jkaberg
Site Admin

Postby jkaberg » 15 Sep 2013 20:58

TrackieDaks wrote:
rascalli wrote:What issues ? As for me it works perfect , grabs the shows I want , when they are available ...
Or are you talking about new features you would like to see ?

I was going to point out all the issues listed in this thread, but you were the one who posted most of them... the poor scene exceptions, the lack of (good) torrent support and the generally stagnant development cycle are the biggest issues. I would consider them issues, because they inhibit the purpose of the application.

For anyone else who is thinking of suggesting it, forking sickbeard would be a waste of time. My vote is to see TV support fully integrated into Couchpotato, no separate branches or additional apps.

It's an ongoing effort ;)

clinton.hall

Postby clinton.hall » 16 Sep 2013 00:13

The thing you have to remember here is we are not saying you have to use CP for TV. you can still use SickBeard. Or the RSS feeds in NZBGet couples with their turbosort postprocess script works great for people too...

The point here is you have options. you won't be reliant on any single method, or any single repository that may or may not continue to be maintained.

Yes, Music, comics, ebooks etc can also be added as the work done to add TV support is creating the ability to add "modules"

JesusOnEez

Postby JesusOnEez » 27 Sep 2013 15:13

Whilst I have no real issue with SickBeard - it works well for how I use it most of the time - there are exceptions where I can see a CP implementation of TV show downloading to be advantageous.

Back in January, I looked at all the upcoming movies for 2013 and added them to CP with a 7 day wait period. Now, many of them are coming through as they are released to Blu-Ray and DVD. Simple, beautiful and just plain no-nonsense.

If I do the same in SickBeard, problems occur. I've added Atlantis, yet to show, and SickBeard grabbed a documentary from a couple of years ago. I added Dads, yet to show, and it started grabbing episodes of an old series from the 80s. Fake episode of The Walking Dead season 3 prior to showing and there are more examples. SickBeard needs a lot more manual labor than CP and if CP can implement TV downloads in a similar way to how it handles movies (i.e. wait for air date before searching, not use (or at least have the option of not using) TVDB, error handling and so on) then I'm all for it, a look forward to using it instead of SickBeard.

Note though, that for me, SickBeard works fine if I add a show that has just started, it's the 'preemptive' additions where it tends to fall over, and the way CP handles movies seems to me, to be the best way to combat this.

I look forward to it with baited breath.

Symbiotk

Postby Symbiotk » 28 Sep 2013 09:03

how far are you guys in the development?
is the tv branch anywhere near testing (from us non-devs?)

rxp

Postby rxp » 29 Sep 2013 11:40

As a user, this is great news! I don't actually use CouchPotato much because I mostly watch TV shows but when I do it's great. It just looks so sexy compared to SickBeard too.

A good example of how slow the development of Sickbeard is getting 1080p Web DL's and 1080i added. 1080i took years, someone even coded it but the authors refused to put it in the main branch. It also lacks simple things like email notifications.

It might be wothwhile posting some messages in the NZBDrone forums, it's a sickbeared alternative and works really quite well.

shlomi-g

Postby shlomi-g » 19 Oct 2013 19:05

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your hard work.
Any updates on this project?

bleomycin

Postby bleomycin » 18 Nov 2013 02:17

I'm very curious to know if this is still being worked on?

clinton.hall

Postby clinton.hall » 18 Nov 2013 03:47

Yes, indeed it is.

bleomycin

Postby bleomycin » 18 Nov 2013 09:14

clinton.hall wrote:Yes, indeed it is.

That's great!

nayab9
Recognized Developer

Postby nayab9 » 06 Dec 2013 10:36

Alo! Lurker here!

I work in the mobile space (BlackBerry); I've built a personal BB10 app for CP, and have some automation framework exposure to Python. Wondering if I could be given permission to view the dev forum for this? Would like to contribute in any capacity. In the meantime, will start familiarizing myself with the cb.

This needs to be done! Sickbeard is literally useless for torrents; it does nothing. There are various forks that are just as useless!

LETS DO!

Cheers,
Ben

clinton.hall

Postby clinton.hall » 06 Dec 2013 12:44

Hi nayab9,

Would be great to have your input. If you send a pm to jkaberg he should be able to sort it all out for you.

jkaberg
Site Admin

Postby jkaberg » 06 Dec 2013 13:31

nayab9 wrote:Alo! Lurker here!

I work in the mobile space (BlackBerry); I've built a personal BB10 app for CP, and have some automation framework exposure to Python. Wondering if I could be given permission to view the dev forum for this? Would like to contribute in any capacity. In the meantime, will start familiarizing myself with the cb.

This needs to be done! Sickbeard is literally useless for torrents; it does nothing. There are various forks that are just as useless!

LETS DO!

Cheers,
Ben

@nayab9, welcome aboard. Familiarize yourself with the code base, then check the IRC thread in the Couchpotato NG forum

We do most of our communication on an private IRC channel

Scalamoosh

Postby Scalamoosh » 15 Dec 2013 22:28

Hi There.

I would be interested in helping out on the CPTV development. I have used CP for quite some time, and would be more than happy to give something back.

I currently work as a Django/Python developer (including HTML/CSS/JS). More information can be PM'd if you want.

I wouldn't be able to contribute any time until the new year, but will familiarise myself with the codebase then, and help out where I can.

Cheers,
@Scalamoosh

jkaberg
Site Admin

Postby jkaberg » 15 Dec 2013 22:33

Scalamoosh wrote:Hi There.

I would be interested in helping out on the CPTV development. I have used CP for quite some time, and would be more than happy to give something back.

I currently work as a Django/Python developer (including HTML/CSS/JS). More information can be PM'd if you want.

I wouldn't be able to contribute any time until the new year, but will familiarise myself with the codebase then, and help out where I can.

Cheers,
@Scalamoosh

Sounds good @Scalamoosh, get in touch on IRC (#couchpotato @ freenode) if you have any questions

SubNoize

Postby SubNoize » 16 Dec 2013 12:56

This is awesome, as it's been said in this thread by a few people. It will be really nice to have the freedom and choice to pick what is best for the user. Please have Anime support. I'm running the old SB Anime from 30/06/2012. Lad1337 is working on XDM and doesn't have Anime support/usable XDM and NZB Drone doesn't support anime and as we all know SB rarely updates or adds anything new.

:heart: :heart:

Hellboy

Postby Hellboy » 20 Dec 2013 20:48

I personally don't like sickbeard, because of the lack of filtering etc and i have to rely on third party products for subtitles, yes there are some forks, but they don't work reliable.
I only use spotweb to get posts, i download the manually and a small python script will move them in the right directory.

I would love to see tv series support, with proper subtitle support, so that everything is all in one application to manage my downloads

nikagl

Postby nikagl » 02 Jan 2014 21:16

Hi all,

I did some minor changes to the renamer to make it work again (changed some "movies" bits into "media"). I am no Python developer though, I did it by reverse engineering the errors I found.

Anything else I can debug? I don't mind the debugging, I'm just a horrible developer :)

Regards,

Nika.

GAZ082

Postby GAZ082 » 14 Jan 2014 00:43

Get this done right as with movies and i'll happily donate 20 bucks. In fact, you may kickstart this and i'm sure you will get enough money to hire a full time dev to complete it!

koper89

Postby koper89 » 16 Jan 2014 15:30

And please add Anime usage. You can use as information searcher biggest database of Anime - anidb.net
Trackers:
http://bakabt.me
https://animebytes.tv/

Return to “Development”