HOWTO: Install CouchPotatoServer (v2) on Windows

Most commonly asked questions will have thire awnsers here, please search before asking!
jkaberg
Site Admin

HOWTO: Install CouchPotatoServer (v2) on Windows

Postby jkaberg » 14 May 2012 22:42

This guide is for installing CouchPotatoServer (v2). Do not attempt to use this guide with CouchPotato (v1) linked from the main web page. To install CouchPotato (v1) simply download the windows installer package. For more information about the different CouchPotato versions, see here.

A short and universal guide for all of us running Windows. This guide is based on WHS2011 but should work on Windows XP+

1. First of, grab and install Python. You can get it here, http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.7.3/
NOTE: You can use python 2.7 - 2.7.3. Do not use python 3+ for CouchPotatoServer. You can use either 64-bit or 32-bit, but see the note for PyWin below.

2. Next, get Pywin at http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32 ... ild%20217/ and install
NOTE: Be sure to install the version of PyWin that matches your python architecture. You should use pywin32-217.win32-py2.7.exe if you installed 32-bit python and pywin32-217.win-amd64-py2.7.exe if you installed 64-bit python.

3. Going quite well, and not so many steps either. Onwards! Download and install Git, http://git-scm.com/download/win
NOTE: See bengalih's tip below on GIT install. You may also want to REBOOT your machine at this point to ensure that the various environmental variables set by the above installs are properly updated.

4. Now for the fun part, get the latest source of CPS at https://github.com/RuudBurger/CouchPota ... all/master and extract that to an easy-to-remember-location, eg C:\Couchpotato

5. Now, assuming that you used the default install location for Python and the location I specified for you one step back you should be able to run this command from your command prompt "C:\Python27\python.exe C:\Couchpotato\Couchpotato.py" (without citation marks!!)

Everything works? zomg! Nothing works? leeeeerooyy...

Ok, well, your probably thinking. This sucks, I dont want any command window open. Right, so a few more steps..

Create a shortcut anywhere you'd like and when it asks for a file to link to, enter this "C:\Python27\pythonw.exe C:\Couchpotato\Couchpotato.py" (without citation marks!!)

NOTE: You can also rename the Couchpotato.py to Couchpotato.pyw, but this method is not recommended as it may interfere with future updates.

Now your thinking.. mhmm okay, but I want CPS to run when I start my computer.. Now you have a choice, either go all the way or the easy way

Easy way - Create the shotcut explained above in the start-menu, Windows button(start menu)->All Programs->Autostart. Now this will start CPS when you logon your user, but not if anyone else with an different account logs on, in that case, the hard way

Hard way - Follow this guide, im to tired to write it all, http://techbungalow.com/2012/run-any-pr ... n-windows/. You can get the two files, srvany.exe and inetsrv.exe here http://speedy.sh/pukJc/instsrv.zip

Alternate Way - Install as a psuedo-service with TaskScheduler. Built into Windows and relatively simple. See here.

Good luck

bengalih

RE: Howto: Install CPS on Windows Home Server 2011 (and other MS distros)

Postby bengalih » 15 May 2012 00:58

Thanks Joel - just wanted to add a few more tips and tricks:

Joel wrote:3. Going quite well, and not so many steps either. Onwards! Download and install Git, http://git-scm.com/download/win

When installing GIT you will choose pretty much the defaults, except on the following screen:

ADJUSTING YOUR PATH ENVIRONMENT

Make sure to choose the option:

Run Git from the Windows Command Prompt

Otherwise, it seems CP will not be able to find the GIT executable!

I also recommend a reboot after GIT installation prior to continuing on with CP install.

pschramm

Postby pschramm » 15 May 2012 07:35

Having trouble.. My providers are configured but nothing ever hits SABNZBD.. I see the search in the logs but nothing more.

I can't find and FAQ of configuration guide. Does one exist?

If not.. What is required for configuration besides search providers and SABNZBD coordinates?

many many thanks -

patrick

jkaberg
Site Admin

Postby jkaberg » 16 May 2012 19:10

bengalih wrote:Thanks Joel - just wanted to add a few more tips and tricks:

wall of text :P

Happy Sitting!

Thanks alot, appreciate it ;)

pschramm wrote:Having trouble.. My providers are configured but nothing ever hits SABNZBD.. I see the search in the logs but nothing more.

I can't find and FAQ of configuration guide. Does one exist?

If not.. What is required for configuration besides search providers and SABNZBD coordinates?

many many thanks -

patrick

Post it over at the support forum

jkaberg
Site Admin

Postby jkaberg » 18 May 2012 17:06

monkeyfusion wrote:I'm glad this is showing signs of going public! Is there any timetable on a release for Mac?

You can already use it on mac running from source, install Python and the other packages and have a go ;)

rb338

Postby rb338 » 22 May 2012 11:58

Just wanted to say, I followed the guide on WHS 2011 and it works perfectly! Thanks :)

billspice

RE: HOWTO: Install CouchPotatoSever (v2) on Windows

Postby billspice » 05 Jun 2012 07:40

hi guys

im ready to install the new v2 from v1.36 i think, on windows,

but for some reason i didnt need to install python, i just downloaded the 1.36 clciked it and it worked first time

was i doing this wrong, should i have installed python?

it weird because i didnt and it worked great?

no doubt, ill have to install it for v2 running windows 7?

Really appreciate this program, your a legend man!, and the help on this forum is fantastic, keep up the good work!

Regards
[hr]
Edit
i cant seem to edit post!

i see now that this wasnt the case for v1!, Sorry

also whats the difference between v2 and v2 server?

regards

bengalih

Postby bengalih » 05 Jun 2012 20:51

@Billspice - Please re-read the FAQ - especially the first few lines. What you downloaded was v1 and just uses the installer package...the install instructions are for v2 - which is not what you installed.

-----------------------------

see you updated the post...

v2 and v2 server are the same. Please see:
http://couchpota.to/forum/showthread.php?tid=175

Pilkington

Postby Pilkington » 06 Jun 2012 03:31

Little question... Is there any way to start Couch Potato via the shortcut method and not require keeping a command window open? Right now it'll start fine at startup but if I close the command window it stops. I didn't have much luck with the Service method (I'll try it again later) and found this to just be much simpler if there was a way around that problem.

bengalih

Postby bengalih » 06 Jun 2012 17:16

Says it right above:

"Create a shortcut anywhere you'd like and when it asks for a file to link to, enter this "C:\Python27\pythonw.exe C:\Couchpotato\Couchpotato.py""

just tested and it works with no window

Pilkington

Postby Pilkington » 06 Jun 2012 23:12

Strange... Mine is: "C:\Python27\python.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\CouchPotato\Couchpotato.py"" (because of CouchPotato's location), and when I open it, it creates a command prompt window that only closes if I hit the X, and when I do that it stops Couchpotato from running.

bengalih

Postby bengalih » 07 Jun 2012 01:33

because you are still running "python.exe" not "pythonw.exe" as the FAQ says and i re-iterate above :)

Pilkington

Postby Pilkington » 07 Jun 2012 03:32

THANK YOU! You are magnificent, and I am unobservant, haha. Thanks!

pk74

Postby pk74 » 28 Jun 2012 05:31

This guide worked for me, updated from 1.36 to v2 with no issues. I did have to disable NZBClub as a provider (it was enabled by default?) since it started downloaded two movies found there with questionable qualities...

Other than that, I am good to go. I have yet let it 'manage' my existing movie collection, as I'm a bit scared to turn it loose on 4 years worth of movies, and I don't have enough spare space to back them all up somewhere else.

bengalih

Postby bengalih » 03 Jul 2012 00:51

katzeye wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but could someone please explain the "create a shortcut" step? I have done everything up until this point just fin, but I cannot figure this out. Thanks

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/140443

bengalih

Postby bengalih » 10 Jul 2012 05:27

@zhayat

Uninstall everything (couchpotato, git, python, pywin)
Delete %appdata%\CouchPotato (backup up first)

Re-read FAQ
Re-download the linked software
Reinstall according to FAQ

If still having this issue, post bug on github.

Reser

Postby Reser » 13 Jul 2012 05:14

Create a shortcut anywhere you'd like and when it asks for a file to link to, enter this "C:\Python27\pythonw.exe C:\Couchpotato\Couchpotato.py" (without citation marks!!)

When I make a link in that way it does absoloutly nothing. I click the shortcut and it just does nothing and Couch Potato does not run.

If I just run the CouchPotato.py file directly a command prompt opens and closed and it runs perfectly.

How comes your method does not work and a much simpler method of running it directly does work?

My problem with this is I want it to run as a service as running it directly causes it to stop working the second I logout of the remote sessions of my server (version 1 did not have this problem however?).

Doing the Hard way does not work using the direct link, the service instantly stops. However the python link works but has the same problem of not actually "running" couch potato and doing nothing..

So I need to fix that problem. Why does the link

"C:\Python27\pythonw.exe C:\Program Files (x86)\Couch Potato\CouchPotato.py"

Not work?
[hr]
Ok well I really wish your forum had a delete option...

rereading my post I saw my problem straight away..

the link C:\Python27\python.exe C:\Program Files (x86)\Couch Potato\CouchPotato.py obviously needs quotations marks, around the second part as there is space /facepalm

So the correct shortcut would be C:\Python27\python.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Couch Potato\CouchPotato.py"

lazy_g

Postby lazy_g » 15 Jul 2012 14:21

bengalih wrote:

If i forgot to do this step, how can i change it?
[hr]
lazy_g wrote:
bengalih wrote:

If i forgot to do this step, how can i change it?

Ok nevermind, i got it to work! :)

RonaldPagan

Postby RonaldPagan » 26 Jul 2012 19:03

I'm having a hell of a time getting this to run as a service in WHS v1.

I followed the hard way and set the Application parameter value data to

C:\Python27\pythonw.exe "C:\CouchPotato\CouchPotato.py"

The really odd thing is that sometimes I'm able to bring up the program after I have gone into services.msc and restarted the service. I have the service Log On as Administrator.

Any help greatly appreciated.

jwired21

Postby jwired21 » 27 Jul 2012 07:25

Great guide for windows users! I ran into one question that I have searched for everywhere, but can't find the answer and was hoping you could help. I keep seeing the following in the log and I'm not sure what it means. Thanks again!

07-27 01:19:27 ERROR [chpotato.core.plugins.log] API log: {'line': u'0', 'type': u'error', 'message': u'chrome 20: \nScript error.', 'file': u'', 'page': u'http://HOST/'}

Return to “FAQ”