HOWTO: Install CouchPotatoServer (v2) on Windows

Most commonly asked questions will have thire awnsers here, please search before asking!
jwired21
Junior Member
Posts: 2
Joined: 27 Jul 2012 07:14
Contact:
Status: Offline

RE: HOWTO: Install CouchPotatoSever (v2) on Windows

Postby jwired21 » 27 Jul 2012 15:27

jwired21 wrote:Great guide for windows users! I ran into one question that I have searched for everywhere, but can't find the answer and was hoping you could help. I keep seeing the following in the log and I'm not sure what it means. Thanks again!

07-27 01:19:27 ERROR [chpotato.core.plugins.log] API log: {'line': u'0', 'type': u'error', 'message': u'chrome 20: \nScript error.', 'file': u'', 'page': u'http://HOST/'}


I finally figured it out. It was an extension in chrome causing the error log. Thanks again!

mikeparkie
Junior Member
Posts: 12
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 13:18
Contact:
Status: Offline

RE: HOWTO: Install CouchPotatoSever (v2) on Windows

Postby mikeparkie » 29 Jul 2012 22:49

Just an install tag on question. I'm all up and running but I dual boot with Windows 8 and want to share the CP2 setup between OS's. How to I move the install location from " %appdata%\CouchPotato" to another location? I can obviously move the files but I want to know what file I need to update with the new appdata location!?

mikeparkie
Junior Member
Posts: 12
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 13:18
Contact:
Status: Offline

RE: HOWTO: Install CouchPotatoSever (v2) on Windows

Postby mikeparkie » 02 Aug 2012 01:36


nolidwar0
Junior Member
Posts: 2
Joined: 11 Aug 2012 12:07
Contact:
Status: Offline

RE: HOWTO: Install CouchPotatoSever (v2) on Windows

Postby nolidwar0 » 16 Aug 2012 17:08

Thanks for sharing Couchpotatoserver information to us.

nolidwar0
Junior Member
Posts: 2
Joined: 11 Aug 2012 12:07
Contact:
Status: Offline

RE: HOWTO: Install CouchPotatoSever (v2) on Windows

Postby nolidwar0 » 30 Aug 2012 00:10

I just installed couchpotato server v2. do I have to go into terminal every single time I want to access couchpotato?


thanks for sharing.


/edit by moderator* removed the sales link. keeping your post here to give you benefit of the doubt and assume you actually want to use CPS. BTW, the answer is in the posts above *end edit/

zoomby
Junior Member
Posts: 19
Joined: 27 Aug 2012 13:20
Contact:
Status: Offline

RE: HOWTO: Install CouchPotatoSever (v2) on Windows

Postby zoomby » 09 Sep 2012 19:30

I think the instruction for installing also available in the manual.Though this post must be helpful.Thanks for the information over here.

crankycowboy
Junior Member
Posts: 25
Joined: 07 Jun 2012 13:06
Contact:
Status: Offline

RE: HOWTO: Install CouchPotatoSever (v2) on Windows

Postby crankycowboy » 18 Sep 2012 00:53

I am on windows 7 64bit. I followed this guide, and everything has worked fine for quite a while now. I noticed Rudd now has a windows installer (http://couchpota.to/updates/) Is there any benefit to actually installing vs the method in this post?

User avatar
clinton.hall
Moderator
Posts: 9224
Joined: 28 Jun 2012 12:55
Has thanked: 94 times
Been thanked: 465 times
Contact:
Status: Offline

RE: HOWTO: Install CouchPotatoSever (v2) on Windows

Postby clinton.hall » 18 Sep 2012 01:24

crankycowboy wrote:I am on windows 7 64bit. I followed this guide, and everything has worked fine for quite a while now. I noticed Rudd now has a windows installer (http://couchpota.to/updates/) Is there any benefit to actually installing vs the method in this post?


Quite simply, this build has everything packaged into it so there is no need to install Python and PyWin etc. The main benefit is simplicity and the fact that it should eliminate most "incompatability" issues or incorrect settings.

If you are a "debugger" who wished to make changes to the code for testing etc, have your own branch on github, or otherwise are very competent in theser things, you may find benefit in installing from source.

Most novice/new users should find the windows build to be the best option.

Anyway, that's how I see it. In the end it does come down to personal choice.

crankycowboy
Junior Member
Posts: 25
Joined: 07 Jun 2012 13:06
Contact:
Status: Offline

RE: HOWTO: Install CouchPotatoSever (v2) on Windows

Postby crankycowboy » 18 Sep 2012 15:05

clinton.hall wrote:
crankycowboy wrote:I am on windows 7 64bit. I followed this guide, and everything has worked fine for quite a while now. I noticed Rudd now has a windows installer (http://couchpota.to/updates/) Is there any benefit to actually installing vs the method in this post?


Quite simply, this build has everything packaged into it so there is no need to install Python and PyWin etc. The main benefit is simplicity and the fact that it should eliminate most "incompatability" issues or incorrect settings.

If you are a "debugger" who wished to make changes to the code for testing etc, have your own branch on github, or otherwise are very competent in theser things, you may find benefit in installing from source.

Most novice/new users should find the windows build to be the best option.

Anyway, that's how I see it. In the end it does come down to personal choice.


As usual, thanks for the detailed reply Clinton. If I would like to "convert" to the compiled install....what would I need to do to keep my settings? Like I said, technically everything is working fine. But I would prefer the exe shortcut if possible as it would make some batch files I have run at startup more seamless. Thanks!

User avatar
clinton.hall
Moderator
Posts: 9224
Joined: 28 Jun 2012 12:55
Has thanked: 94 times
Been thanked: 465 times
Contact:
Status: Offline

RE: HOWTO: Install CouchPotatoSever (v2) on Windows

Postby clinton.hall » 18 Sep 2012 19:22

The few tests I have done suggest that you just install the exe and all should migrate across without hitch.

All SB and config files are in a different directory to the install, so shouldnt be touched. You can make a backup first to be safe.

Also, if not found automatically, the wizard does give an option to import a database, you just need to know where it is.

Start by looking in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\CouchPotato

sacksyboy
Junior Member
Posts: 3
Joined: 27 Oct 2012 17:17
Contact:
Status: Offline

RE: HOWTO: Install CouchPotatoSever (v2) on Windows

Postby sacksyboy » 27 Oct 2012 17:23

I am running on my Mac Mini and coming from v1 couch potato. I did this so long ago but I remember setting up a daemon that automatically starts CP whenever I reboot.

I downloaded the v2 .zip, extracted and installed. The new localhost page came up perfectly and asked me to find the data.db file. I selected it and found it said an error occurred.

Rebooted and v1 loaded up again on the localhost page. Any idea on how I can get v2 to load instead...I feel like when I click on v2 in the applications folder it just loads another localhost page and both versions are running at the same time.

Thanks in advance.

clinton.hall wrote:
crankycowboy wrote:I am on windows 7 64bit. I followed this guide, and everything has worked fine for quite a while now. I noticed Rudd now has a windows installer (http://couchpota.to/updates/) Is there any benefit to actually installing vs the method in this post?


Quite simply, this build has everything packaged into it so there is no need to install Python and PyWin etc. The main benefit is simplicity and the fact that it should eliminate most "incompatability" issues or incorrect settings.

If you are a "debugger" who wished to make changes to the code for testing etc, have your own branch on github, or otherwise are very competent in theser things, you may find benefit in installing from source.

Most novice/new users should find the windows build to be the best option.

Anyway, that's how I see it. In the end it does come down to personal choice.

User avatar
clinton.hall
Moderator
Posts: 9224
Joined: 28 Jun 2012 12:55
Has thanked: 94 times
Been thanked: 465 times
Contact:
Status: Offline

RE: HOWTO: Install CouchPotatoSever (v2) on Windows

Postby clinton.hall » 27 Oct 2012 23:15

sacksyboy wrote:I am running on my Mac Mini and coming from v1 couch potato. I did this so long ago but I remember setting up a daemon that automatically starts CP whenever I reboot.

I downloaded the v2 .zip, extracted and installed. The new localhost page came up perfectly and asked me to find the data.db file. I selected it and found it said an error occurred.

Rebooted and v1 loaded up again on the localhost page. Any idea on how I can get v2 to load instead...I feel like when I click on v2 in the applications folder it just loads another localhost page and both versions are running at the same time.

Thanks in advance.



Ok, this probably should have been a new post, as this thread is for windows installation.

Quite simply, you need to look at the original instructions you used to set up the daemon, and undo this. Presumably this is done by an init script? You should unregistered nod remove this script.

Then you need to add v2 to your startup.

I don't know anything about Mac Mini, so I can't help anymore, and most people reading this particular thread will be Windows users...

ringerh
Junior Member
Posts: 12
Joined: 05 Jan 2013 15:39
Contact:
Status: Offline

RE: HOWTO: Install CouchPotatoServer (v2) on Windows

Postby ringerh » 05 Jan 2013 15:49

Hello,

I am really strubbling for some days to get CouchPotato operational...

I followed the extended installation manual, but the following error occurs after entering C:\Python27\pythonw.exe C:\Couchpotato\Couchpotato.py:

sqlalchemy.exc.OperationalError: (OperationalError) unable to open database file None None

If more information is needed, please do not hesitate to contact me

Please can somebody help me

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Harm

User avatar
clinton.hall
Moderator
Posts: 9224
Joined: 28 Jun 2012 12:55
Has thanked: 94 times
Been thanked: 465 times
Contact:
Status: Offline

RE: HOWTO: Install CouchPotatoServer (v2) on Windows

Postby clinton.hall » 05 Jan 2013 19:53

Unless you really want to run from source, try running the windows builds (look under announcements on this forum)

Symbiotk
Member
Posts: 179
Joined: 09 Dec 2012 09:56
Has thanked: 5 times
Contact:
Status: Offline

RE: HOWTO: Install CouchPotatoServer (v2) on Windows

Postby Symbiotk » 06 Jan 2013 11:11


OrjanKL
Junior Member
Posts: 2
Joined: 07 Jan 2013 16:43
Contact:
Status: Offline

RE: HOWTO: Install CouchPotatoServer (v2) on Windows

Postby OrjanKL » 07 Jan 2013 16:55

I've got the exact same problem as ringerh. Before installing the source version I tried the windows installer but didn't have much luck with that one either. When I started that one up it showed up in the tray for a couple of seconds and then disappeared. I could see it running in the task manager but i could not connect to it in my browser.

I have been using V1 for well over a year and I've been very happy with it so I'm a bit bummed out that I can't get this version working :(

ringerh
Junior Member
Posts: 12
Joined: 05 Jan 2013 15:39
Contact:
Status: Offline

RE: HOWTO: Install CouchPotatoServer (v2) on Windows

Postby ringerh » 07 Jan 2013 17:37

Symbiotk wrote:ringer... did you read this:

https://couchpota.to/forum/showthread.php?tid=1101


I didn't... Thank you...

However i tried but also during install intructions i didn't work therefor i want to try to install the CouchPotato Windows installer CouchPotato-2.0.4.win32.installer

But maybe i am too stupid for this kind of stuff... ;-)

Thank you anyway

Regards,

Harm
[hr]
clinton.hall wrote:Unless you really want to run from source, try running the windows builds (look under announcements on this forum)


Thank you Clinton.Hall

I did install: CouchPotato-2.0.4.win32.installer

After install (without errors) CouchPotato will not start via:
Icon in startmenu
localhost:5000/movies/

CouchPotato is driving me craza ;-)

Regards,

Harm

ringerh
Junior Member
Posts: 12
Joined: 05 Jan 2013 15:39
Contact:
Status: Offline

RE: HOWTO: Install CouchPotatoServer (v2) on Windows

Postby ringerh » 07 Jan 2013 19:46

OrjanKL wrote:I've got the exact same problem as ringerh. Before installing the source version I tried the windows installer but didn't have much luck with that one either. When I started that one up it showed up in the tray for a couple of seconds and then disappeared. I could see it running in the task manager but i could not connect to it in my browser.

I have been using V1 for well over a year and I've been very happy with it so I'm a bit bummed out that I can't get this version working :(


Exactly same issue here. Showed up in the tray for a couple of seconds and then disappeared. I could see it running in the task manager but i could not connect to it in my browser.

ringerh
Junior Member
Posts: 12
Joined: 05 Jan 2013 15:39
Contact:
Status: Offline

RE: HOWTO: Install CouchPotatoServer (v2) on Windows

Postby ringerh » 07 Jan 2013 20:48

OrjanKL wrote:I've got the exact same problem as ringerh. Before installing the source version I tried the windows installer but didn't have much luck with that one either. When I started that one up it showed up in the tray for a couple of seconds and then disappeared. I could see it running in the task manager but i could not connect to it in my browser.

I have been using V1 for well over a year and I've been very happy with it so I'm a bit bummed out that I can't get this version working :(


using this thread:Quick fix for disappearing system tray icons

Result, you see CouchPotato in the tray, but loading is still grey out... So no finishing result

ringerh
Junior Member
Posts: 12
Joined: 05 Jan 2013 15:39
Contact:
Status: Offline

RE: HOWTO: Install CouchPotatoServer (v2) on Windows

Postby ringerh » 08 Jan 2013 20:42

ringerh wrote:
OrjanKL wrote:I've got the exact same problem as ringerh. Before installing the source version I tried the windows installer but didn't have much luck with that one either. When I started that one up it showed up in the tray for a couple of seconds and then disappeared. I could see it running in the task manager but i could not connect to it in my browser.

I have been using V1 for well over a year and I've been very happy with it so I'm a bit bummed out that I can't get this version working :(


using this thread:Quick fix for disappearing system tray icons

Result, you see CouchPotato in the tray, but loading is still grey out... So no finishing result


Anyone?


Return to “FAQ”