FAKE Releases - if the video doesn't play...

Most commonly asked questions will have thire awnsers here, please search before asking!
clinton.hall

FAKE Releases - if the video doesn't play...

Postby clinton.hall » 10 May 2014 08:06

Hi All,

On another forum someone has confirmed what these fake downloads actually do... Obviously, you should delete these and not execute them

Indeed all the *BOGUS* releases seem to have DIVX or XVID in file name and I started filtering them out.

I just don't understand the motivation. Could it be an industry thing to frustrate people. We used to get small files which were viruses, then it was password-ed files inviting you to go some website and now this. It all looks good, the IMDB links are in the NFO check out and the file looks legit.

There is an installer for 'if the video doesn't play'... And GSPOT does not recognize any video container nor does Handbrake, 2 huge red flags right there.

My corporate virus scanner does not think anything of the setup.exe file and I can add it into gmail and yahoo as safe attachments..

So I build a VM in VirtualBox just to see what would happen:

It's a meta installed, installs a bunch of junk...

http://www.conduit.com/searchprotect

1) Search Protect
2) Consta Surf
3) RRSavings
4) Acces your PC from Anywhere
5) Strom Warnings

Install fails, but does create a link... guess to which of the applications just installed? That's right.. Remote access!

It is VuuPC.. remote access

while I had not clicked 'install', the installer was already installing it!

Then finally it installs vlc 2.1.3... and of course movie doesn't play in VLC either...

From that moment on it's popup central...

I deleted the VBOX snapshot...

Alabasster

Re: FAKE Releases - if the video doesn't play...

Postby Alabasster » 10 Jul 2014 06:46

I'm new to this forum so Hi.

With these posts the format of the search result usually ends in xvid-(three random letters) ie; 'xvid-whc'. This is probably common knowledge but just in case. This little tidbit has saved me a lot of time.

moonwax

Postby moonwax » 06 Dec 2014 10:22

The first 2 films that CouchP has downloaded for me have been these fakes. Any idea how to get it to avoid them?

clinton.hall

Postby clinton.hall » 07 Dec 2014 01:10

Use a good provider, use higher quality profiles (e.g 720p not DVD rio)
Add the bad release groups to your ignore words..

Try many of the fake detector scripts (for nzbget) or nzbToCouchPotato scripts as these Mark the release as bad and ask CouchPotato to download the next release...

Also, if you have "always search" enabled in couchPotato (to search before ETA) you can expect more fakes...

Return to “FAQ”