Asustor AS-60XT

Let us know what hardware your CouchPotato is running on and share some experience.
This is for "ready to use"-hardware, like NAS, MediaPlayers, etc, so no custom build servers.
clinton.hall

Asustor AS-60XT

Postby clinton.hall » 13 Sep 2013 03:51

Device Series: Asustor 6 series NAS http://www.asustor.com/product?p_id=8&lan=en & http://www.asustor.com/product?p_id=1&lan=en & http://www.asustor.com/product?p_id=2&lan=en & http://www.asustor.com/product?p_id=3&lan=en
Model Tested: AS-604T (4 bay)

Apps Installed: CouchPotato, SickBeard, Git, Python, SABnzbd, NZBGet, Plex, BOXEE, XBMC (Portal)

Ease of setup: 8/10
The initial setup of this NAS was straight forward. Just run through the wizard to configure.
Setting up CouchPotato and the other Apps listed above is as simple as going to App Central in your NAS web UI and clicking install beside the App you want. After the App has installed click on the icon on your NAS web UI "desktop" to be directed to the CouchPotato (or other App) web UI.
Setting up Boxee/XBMC/CHROME requires either plugging in a USB keyboard, downloading the App onto your android or apple device, or installing the optional USB IR receiver and remote.

Additional Features:
This system has an HDMI port. This allows this system to work as a complete HTPC that can connect to your TV/Amp and can be controlled by a usb keyboard, or an App on your ipad/iphone/android device.
DVBLink can be installed with compatible HDTV tuner to allow this sytem to also act as a PVR.

System Resources:
CPU: Intel® Atom™ 2.13 GHz Dual-Core Processor
Memory: 1GB SO-DIMM DDR3 (Expandable. Max. 3GB)

This is more than enough to easily run CouchPotato and SickBeard while downloading your shows/movies.
Playback of 720p and 1080p via Plex (to supported TVs) or direct via BOXEE/XBMC is stable, although I would prefer to download using NZBGet as opposed to SABnzbd (due to lower CPU and RAM usage) while downloading

Limitations:
A built in IR receiver would have been great to allow remote control and not require using your phone/pad.
edit: A usb IR receiver this can be purchased from the Asustor Store, along with a remote (codes also on Logitech)
While the Download Center works great for Torrents, this isn't currently supported directly by CouchPotato.
edit: I have however created a uTorrent App.

My Involvement:
I am doing beta testing for Asustor and am currently the packager/maintainer of the following Apps:
CouchPotato
SickBeard
SABnzbd
NZBGet
bt-sync
HeadPhones
Mylar
Gamez
LazyLibrarian
uTorrent

edit: Updated 06 December 2013 - New ADM (FirmWare) introduced XBMC/Portal and Remote control option (via additional USB IR that is available from Asustor)

a4diziac

Re: Asustor AS-60XT

Postby a4diziac » 13 Jan 2014 03:16

Hi clinton.hall,

I recently purchased the AS-604T and think that it is a very robust NAS device.

I am using it for centralized storage of all my data (pictures, music, movies, etc). My ultimate goal is to be able to use it as an HTPC to serve out movies AND to use it as an iTunes HomeSharing server (I know that right now all that is available is iTunes Server, so I will still need a machine running iTunes).

Do you know if there are any plans to add a Plex Portal client, similar to XBMC and Boxee? XBMC and Boxee aren't bad, but I prefer the Plex client.

Thanks.

clinton.hall

Postby clinton.hall » 13 Jan 2014 03:52

This has been discussed (briefly) http://forum.asustor.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=2703&p=6843

The plex server is actually provided by the plex team. So I'm not sure if the client would be provided by the plex team or a 3rd party.

reading here http://froebe.net/blog/2013/08/23/howto-plex-home-theatre-plex-client-for-ubuntu-linux/ it appears there is a client that is freely available... as such, this could easily (well... relative to something that can't be done :DD ) be added to the portal.

perhaps ask this over on Asustor forums... While I won't rule out making this app myself, there is probably more work there than I can spend at this time... In my option, Apps that output via hdmi are safer if supported by Asustor themselves.

short answer, I don't know of anything specifically, but I expect someone will make this available eventually.

a4diziac

Postby a4diziac » 13 Jan 2014 04:28

Thank you very much for your quick response. I'll post the question over there!

suds

Postby suds » 22 Mar 2014 19:16

I have the ASUSTOR AS-604T. I have a question regarding SickBeard when using the built-in ADM Defender/Firewall. If I set the Basic Policy to "allow all connections", then Sickbeard works as expected. If I set "deny all connections" and add "additional allow polices", Sickbeard will not find anything. I have even tried opening all ports for the NAS IP address. I also noticed that under the "Allow" section, there is no indication of the SickBeard app as part of the "Select from built-in services" section. Other apps are listed there. What specific port(s) does SickBeard need opened to allow it to bypass the firewall when searching for shows? Is there a way to add SickBeard to the built-in services section? Thanks.

clinton.hall

Postby clinton.hall » 23 Mar 2014 03:27

make sure you are running the latest SickBeard and CouchPotato etc. Also, ensure you are on latest ADM firmware.

I do have App:SickBeard and App:CouchPotato listed in adm Defender.

Also, enable Webserver (port 80/443).

Return to “Hardware”